Derek was born in Germany and raised near Edmonton, AB. He completed his: Bachelor of Arts in 1996 from the University of Alberta; Bachelor of Laws in 1999 from the University of New Brunswick; served as SGB Law LLP’s Managing Partner from 2012-2014; and received his Q.C. designation in 2014 for service to the legal profession.
Derek has practiced law in Grande Prairie since 1999 and his practice now focuses on Real Estate, Business Law, and Commercial transactions. He has appeared before the Alberta Court of Appeal and the Federal Court of Appeal. Derek is a sustaining member of the Alberta Civil Trial Lawyers’ Association and was instrumental in setting up the Grande Prairie Legal Guidance (Pro Bono) clinic.
Derek has an extensive history of volunteer work, including but not limited to:
- Current Board Member of the Grande Prairie Friendship Centre
- Volunteer at Grande Prairie Legal Guidance clinic
- Volunteer coach for Grande Prairie Minor Soccer
- Former Board Member of the Grande Prairie Art Gallery
- Former Board Member of the Grande Prairie Youth Emergency Shelter
- Former Board Member of the Legal Aid Regional Committee (10+ years)
- Former President, and board member, of the Grande Prairie Men’s Soccer League (10+ years)
- Former Bencher of the Law Society of Alberta
- Former chair of the Real Estate Practice Advisory and Trust Safety committees for the Law Society of Alberta
- Former Board member of the United Way
- Derek enjoys sports (particularly coaching and playing soccer), reading, and travelling